Sunday, April 5, 2009

Every girl's guilty pleasure (and I don't mean shopping)

I recently moved out of my parents' house. I fled the nest to a new adult world of freedom, only to realize that now... I have to feed myself. I've never been incredibly talented in the kitchen. I can make scrambled eggs, french fries and a mean grilled cheese sandwich. My mom is an amazing cook and we would always have seven course meals for dinner. At the least.
Since I moved out, I've received numerous cook books for Christmas (none of which have been cracked open). But there is only so much Delicio pizza and Kraft dinner my body (and waist line)can handle.

After scouring the cook book isles of Winners and Home Sense, I stocked up on more recipes. I thought I'd start with the easy stuff - desserts. I made a trip to our local department store and picked up mixing bowls, baking sheets and other glorious home ec. supplies and I dove in. Made my first batch of white chocolate and pecan brownies.

By chance, I have found a new hobby and am now addicted to baking. I have officially unleashed my inner domestic goddess!

Here's the recipe below. I wouldn't dare to be selfish, dish about the amazing treats I've baked and not share with my dedicated readers!

What you need:

225g white chocolate

85g or 3/4 cup walnut pieces (also amazing if you use pecans instead)

115g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing

2 eggs

115g soft brown sugar

100g self-rising flour (I didn't even know there was such a thing!)

What you do:

1. Coarsely chop 175g of white chocolate and all the walnuts (slash pecans). Put the remaining chocolate and the butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. When melted, stir together, then set aside to cool slightly.

2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together, then beat in the cooled chocolate mixture until well mixed. Fold in the flour, chopped chocolate, and the walnuts. Turn the mixture into a lightly greased 7-inch/18 cm square cake pan and smooth the surface.

3. Transfer the pan to a pre-heated oven, 350F/180C, and bake for 30 minutes, or until just set. The mixture should still be a little soft in the centre. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan, then cut into nine squares before serving.

You (and your love handles) can thank me later.


ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. You really should test these recipes out with your colleagues :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the post above this is about starting a diet haha

    ReplyDelete