Monday, May 11, 2009

Why I wish Arren Williams would come over and visit

For the past couple of months (and by couple, I mean since December), I have been trying to get my house into a livable state. We moved in at the end of December, and immediately started painting every possible wall in the house. We ripped out the carpets, sanded, stained and varnished the floors. Now comes the time to start adding the finishing touches and making the place 'ours.'

It has been quite along process as we both work full time and can only really give'r on weekends. And not every weekend feels like it should be a work weekend, so we often take breaks and decide to watch the Real Housewives of Orange County marathons instead. And by 'we', I mean 'me.'

I'm not very familiar with interior design rules. I do read style and decor blogs religiously and of course I have a subscription to Style at Home, but this fine art is much harder than one would think. The rooms in my house are all different colours... I have an array of warm and... well, cool shades covering every inch of every room. Do they compliment each other? I doubt it. But I think they look good and it makes me feel good to look at them. The colours were incredibly difficult to choose, but now that the painting is almost complete, I'm not changing them.

Furniture, however, is a whole other story. I have been in search of the perfect hallway table, a place where I can throw my keys, the mail and piles of flyers we seem to get every single day. I found the most perfect one, along with three other tables that I thought would fit my hallway perfectly. I narrowed it down to two -one was a chocolate brown little guy, with a drawer and the second one was an iron-looking table with a wood and glass top, that came in a set with two lamps and a mirror. Although the chocolate brown table matched perfectly with the living room furniture, it seemed to get lost in our hallway. The iron table gave the hall a lot of character, but I was afraid it wouldn't match with the floor tiles. I ended up buying both, leaving it up to the man of the house to decide which one we should keep. He chose the set. A wise choice indeed.

It is unreal the things you have to consider when decorating a place. I'm always influenced by the ease of it as shown on HGTV, I get excited and come up with all these ideas, but when it comes down to it, I can't match two solid colours together and make them look good. I envy Arren Williams, Karl Lohnes and others gifted with the incredible taste for interior design. Why is there no 'interior decorating for dummies'?

1 comment:

  1. Can't help you with your interior design problems, but I think I'm going to have to stream some Orange County Housewives after work. Thank you for bringing this beautiful show to my attention.

    ReplyDelete