Saturday, June 26, 2010

Going antiquing

A few weeks ago I managed to drag my better half to attend the Christie Antique Show again. This was my second time going; last year we went to the May show as well (you can check out my buys here) and I think it's safe to say it is officially my hobby. The show started at 8:00 a.m. and with an $8 cover charge I was free to roam the million square feet of antique goodness.

This year I was on a mission to find a vanity table for my wardrobe room. One of the many pros of moving out of your parent's house into your own crib is that you can decorate the whole place however your heart desires. One of my must-haves was a bedroom that I can turn into a walk in closet (stay tuned for fotos).

So with a $500 budget, we set out to find the perfect vanity table, with a mirror, of course. I came across a few that were 'OK', but nothing that I have been picturing in my head. I wanted one with a few drawers and a place for a chair. There were a lot of dressers with a built in mirror, but nothing I can put a stool or a chair at.

Then I found THE most stunning vanity EVER. It was HUGE. Drawers and a mirror, a place for a fabulous chair. All for the reasonable price of $3,496. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to raise our $500 budget. Now that I think of it, it was probably too large for my closet room anyways.

Then, as we were shimmying up one of the isles, I looked over at one of the booths we have yet to see (as it was a few isles over) and I saw the back of it. There she was. I bolted over to take a closer look and she was perfect! The booth owner must have sensed my interest as we came right over and offered me a "good price" for this. I said great, how good? Keeping in mind that everything else I remotely liked was between $300 and $699 (err, $3,496).

He said $150!

So I pretended to contemplate this purchase a little bit, already picturing where exactly I would put it at home.

"But if you really want it, you can have it for a hundred and a quarter."

SOLD!

But a vanity isn't complete without a fabulous piece of furniture to sit on. So after a bit more walking I found a perfect upholstered stool for $25 - but I got it for $20. Note to future antiquers: as the day nears the end, you can score some sweet deals because everyone wants to get rid of their stuff so they don't have to load it all back on the trucks.

The stool actually matches the Merlot on the walls and white in the baseboards perfectly. Check out the pictures below.

The Christie Antique Show comes to Dundas, Ontario twice a year. The next one is on September 11. And I'll be in there like swimwear!










No comments:

Post a Comment